Sunday, March 24, 2013

Wet Flies

As I told you a few posts ago, the wet fly tying fever caught me pretty badly and I managed to fill my box with some nice patterns. The trigger was Dave Hughes book 'Wet Flies'. A second book I bought was ' A Guide To North Country Flies And How To Tie Them' by Mike Harding which is a real spider bible with 140 classic  patterns. Of course I can't wait to use them and definitely know it is only a matter of days till I'll go fishing for the first time this year. Drop a line and let me know what wet fly patterns you're using. Enjoy the pictures.


Partrige and Yellow ( one of the oldest English flies )



Partrige and Orange ( like Dark Snipe and Orange it imitates a host of small brown-orange insects)


Partrige and Olive ( use it whenever small olives are about )


Grouse and Orange ( grouse hackles are a pleasure to tie with )




Stewart's Black Spider ( the original is tied with brown thread )


Hare's Ear Spider ( tied with a partridge hackle )


Hare's Ear Flymph ( wingles wet fly pattern)


Dark Brown Flymph ( variation )


Hare's Ear Wet ( winged )


Light Cahill Wet ( variation - the original wing is of wood duck flank fibers )


Leadwing Coachman ( gray goose wing )


The Butcher ( originaly known as "Moon's Fly" - Mr.Moon was a butcher, W.Blacker renamed the fly "The Butcher" 1838)


No comments:

Post a Comment