Monday, September 23, 2013

Autumn Day

Lord, it is time. Summer was very grand.
Now cast your shadow on the sundials,
and loose the winds on the open fields.

Autumn - Rainer Maria Rilke



The leaves began to take color, the temperature droped and the days became shorter, signs that fall is around the corner. It also came the time for trout spawning, which also means the end of the fishing season. Only those who dare to go out into the cold will do some fly fishing for grayling or pike during the next months.


On this occasion I thought to go out for some fishing before I'll put the small class rods in the closet. Weather could have been even better, the wind blew from time to time and considering that I did not want to waste too much time on the road I chose a creek not far from home. The water was swollen and slightly turbid, which didn't hold me back from continuing my plan to fool a few fish.







The results were not long in coming and graylings began to show up one by one, not too big but enough to sweeten my soul in a melancholic atmosphere of early fall. I even managed to fool a trout. After several hours, I took a CDC dry fly out of the box even fish weren't rising. Some sun rays managed to sneak through the trees that protected the river, at which point I noticed a shadow about 25 feet upstream. I cast the fly a few hands upstream the fish and during the next second I saw the fish rising. For a split second time froze and my heartbeat strengthened. It was a great take and after a few seconds I brought ashore a nice grayling, ending the fishing after this beautiful moment.





Cold autumn and winter months will follow in which I'll focus on pike fly fishing and fly tying hoping the next season will be at least as good as the one just past. 

3 comments:

  1. Very nice written! Looking forward to join ye at some pint next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pOint! ...and the pint afterwards.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cilly ! That would be great! If you start you won't do anything else than fly fishing the whole day long !;) I hope we'll manage the pint this year !:)

      Delete