Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Funeral

Today it was a sad day in my fly fisherman's life. To make it short, I managed to brake the second time this year my 7 wt rod. But let's start with the beginning. A few months ago, while casting some shooting heads on the loan, I heard a strange sound and the tip segment of my rod broke. After some chitchat with a friend, I decided not to order a new tip segment, just to repair it. The rod was working not as good as a new one but I it was OK. During the summer I used it a few times catching some nice fish.

This morning, after I drunk my coffee I decided to go out for some fly fishing. Even a milky drape of fog was covering the river, the first sun rays made it through till on the water surface. I choose an area of the river that I never fished before. The weather was great but no fish rising. 



Well, after some hours of fishing without any take, while casting some wet flies I heard the same scary sound like a few months ago while casting on the loan and without to look at the rod I knew it was over. This time it was the second segment. It made a good job during the last years. The last fish caught was a roach about a week ago.




The rod was build on a CTS blank but I don't think I'll buy one again. After I went home today, I ordered a new 7 wt blank. This time it will be a Beulah. I'm sad but on the other side I can't wait to build a new rod that will catch at least as many fish I caught with the old one.



2 comments:

  1. let me know how you like the Beulah. I can also recommend Dan Craft blanks. I have my 4 Wt on one and this was the 4th season. i put it through everything, from casting #20 dries to #6 streamers with lead dumbell eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to get the blank. Beulah service should be top notch. Hope to have it till end of the month so I'll start to work on the new rod in December ! There will be pictures !;)

      Delete