Thursday, March 19, 2015

Friday the 13th...Story About Withdrawal

After the winter abstinence, withdrawal has become increasingly evident. Itchy fingers, restlessness and ever longer periods of daydreaming of fish and waters plagued me. Nothing else left to do but to get my medicine. I chose a Friday 13th for the treatment. Temperature went slightly over 0 degrees Celsius in the morning. No barrier of mother nature could stop me. I passed the point of no return and the desire to feel my opponent on the the other side of the line was unbounded. 


Water with semi-urban location, quite covered with branches and bushes on both sides, the shallow and clear water made every presentation extremely difficult. The cloudy sky was a pain in the ass and I could barely view some fish. The probability of catching some trout tended more and more towards the values of water temperature. Fish were inactive. No surface activity and not even nymphs seemed to be interesting. I changed five flies casting on a sighted fish but the trout was giving a shit about my nymphs and presentation. Frustrated, I went into the water to see if it is alive. Water was still very cold and the fish swam slowly away without to care too much about me.





After several hours without results, I found a deeper part of the river where to my surprise I managed to fool two quite fatty fish. The drill was unspectacular but I was happy. They were the first fish caught this year. I caught another two on the way to where I parked my car.  There shown signs that winter lost match this year. Snowdrops flourished on the river banks. Happy that I received the much needed piece of heaven, I warmed up with a cup of tea from the thermos bottle and drove home with a big smile on my face.  





3 comments:

  1. Great shots and nice fish! You are lucky to be able to fish this early...here in New England we are still a month away from any flowers. This year the start of the season will be very late here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Last week it was getting colder. Water temperature was around 4-5 degrees Celsius and even we had a sunny day on the water, fish didn't eat. I think we still have to wait 2-3 weeks till fish are active. By the way, I'd like to see you one day live on stage here in Germany. Do you think it's possible ?

      Delete
  2. I think it is possible...in the world of music many things can happen. Hope the spring arrives soon and tight lines!

    ReplyDelete