Monday, April 29, 2013

On Transylvanian waters



Arriving after some time again on Transylvanian grounds, I was able to plan with a good old friend and former college colleague a fly fishing day. Although we planed this event more than seven years ago, we managed only now to put it in application. The news about snowmelt swollen river waters cut some of my hopes but didn't kept me away from dreaming about nice trout. 
As we agreed, I met my friend, Dr.Fridman, early in the morning. The first sun rays were able to awaken to life the entomological universe and the first tiny black flies were flying through the forest of conifers. We warmed up our throats and hearts with a shot of home made pear brandy and went to take a look at the water. On the river shore I realised that my new 10 feet Orvis Helios rod was to long for this mountain stream so I borrowed a shorter one from my friends arsenal. Since the water level was still high from snowmelt and fish showed no sign of activity, we opted for some nymphing. Shortly after beginning of fishing, my friend managed to catch a grayling but still a quite small fish.


The water began to get dirty cause some forestry work upstream so we decided to change fishing area. It breaks my heart when I see how unconscious people exploits what nature was building over centuries. Large patches of snow persisted on the waterfront on which we saw fresh bear tracks with a diameter of over 20 cm which led us to take it downstream. 



After a great meal we fished till down then we left that wonderful place heading back to the city, contemplating the beautiful moments spent on the waterfront. Too bad that people exploits the beauties of nature without to think about the consequences. I am concerned,  money and interest still goes over any rule of keeping nature genuine in Romania and we will realise what a crime we committed at the moment we can't make it good. When I'll return, hope to find a lower water level and more fish. I want to thank to my good old friend for the great moments spent there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment