Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fly Fishing X - Zone

Fly fishing is like a Pandora's box. When you think there is nothing else to impress you, unexpected things happen. As a conclusion, fly fishing is like a box full of surprises that is feeding our eye, mind, soul and sometimes our stomach.

I decided to try to catch a carp with the fly. My home water holds nice specimens, but never saw them feeding on the surface. After discussions with fly fishermen on different forums, one of them told me to put some garlic extract on my nymph. I don't have such an extract at home cause I'm not a regular carp fisherman but I have enough garlic in my kitchen, so I cut a clove into pieces and put it in a small box together with a damsel fly I wanted to fish.



I knew the water in cause was always good for a surprise but never thought it will go out like you'll see in the next pictures. After the second cast I began to strip the fishing line with short breaks in between, strip-strip-stop-strip and strike. Suddenly I had fish contact but it was definitely not a carp. The fish was fighting good but not as aggressive as a carp. I thought it could be a bigger perch or maybe a pike, for this last case I was using a piece of 7x7 steel wire rope. No, it was not a pike, it was an eel. Long time ago somebody told me a story about an eel he caught on the fly and sincerely I hardly believed it. I couldn't have a better proof that you can catch almost every fish species with the fly. I sacrificed the fish taking care not to get the blood on my mucous membranes and went home with my prey.




I enjoyed it fried with some potatoes and a cucumber-garlic salad. I'm curious if I'll have another opportunity during this human life to catch another eel with the fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment