Sunday, May 19, 2013

Chalk Stream Madness

If you have the opportunity to go fishing, do it ! The more you're out fishing, the greater are the chances of a nice catch. My holidays were almost gone so I thought to devote at least half of the last free day to fly fishing. Blooming canola fields stretched like huge yellow spots between villages and forests. Since I was not willing to drive too much, I was choosing a nearby creek. I knew the water holds nice trout and grayling, it was a sunny day, the mayflies started their dance, all well and good till I got there. The water was more turbid than clear but I saw a few fish rising and thought a start with a dry fly could be promising. After a few moments I had the first fish in my net, a beautiful brook trout. 








 There followed several smaller fish, then I changed to nymphs. On a slightly high and turbid water, I couldn't be wrong by choosing a black flashback nymph. Soon I caught three graylings, one of them showed me only his tail. The last grayling was beautiful, over 16 inches long,with brassy scales and smell of thyme. Although the creek section I was fishing wasn't to long, it had a special charm, it passed through the village and the shores were full of flowering shrubs. The last fish I caught was a brook trout about 15 inches long. I had some great fly fishing on a sunny day in May. The way home leaded me through the yellow canola fields while pictures of the caught fish projected on my minds screen. 








No comments:

Post a Comment