Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Fly Fishing - Idrijca ( Slovenia )

My navigation system showed fewer and fewer miles till destination and I was thinking of the places beauty that I was going to pass through and the fish that inhabit those wild waters. Since I left home, memories of days spent on the water began to run on my mind, making me hope of a big catch. I knew from my colleague Dr.Omuro who arrived the day before, that Soca was swollen from melting snow but Idrijca and Baca were good for fishing. The passing from Italy to Slovenia captures the attention of the traveler by both beauty of the landscape, towering peeks furrowed by waters which made their way through the hard rock and stone fortifications dating from the 1st World War. Fierce battle have been done in these mountains and the water of the rivers were red for days by the blood of killed soldiers.




















Day 1:
After breakfast, I got my fishing license and went to the known places on Idrijca valley. We decided on this 1st day to approach a river section that we fished many times. To improve the chances to catch many fish on this clear water with very shy fish, we chose 12 feet long leaders. I opted only for two types of nymphs, I knew they'd catch nice fish on this water. The result was as I expected and the first rainbow was tumbling into my net.









Not a very big fish, about 13 inch, but very combative. Upstream on a pool, I met some fishermen from Münster and after we exchanged some words I continued the fishing. There followed beautiful fish, 3 of them with dimensions around 19-20 inch. By the end of the day I caught 9 fish, all of them released after I took some pictures. Pleased with the results we conclude a superb day of fly fishing.






Day 2:
The next day we decided to approach another river section in which we didn't fished until that moment. My colleague decided to explore the area downstream and I took it toward upstream. After more than half an hour, I reached a deep water pool. At the first cast, I noticed a great strike and after a few jumps, I managed to bring a beautiful rainbow to my net. Taking advantage of the presence of one of the fishermen I met the day before, the moment was immortalised with my camera.



















More fish, some around 19 inch followed in a short time. 








The opposite bank was very promising and led me to cross the river. Cause I suspected big fish, I changed my tippet (4x) and chose a larger and heavier nymph. Hidden by a rock, after a few casts in Czech style I felt a strong strike into my rod. After a few seconds I realised that I was dealing with a big fish who didn't hesitate to take a lot of line from my reel reaching almost the backing line. The few minutes of drill made my pulse rise steeply. With over 24 inch it was the biggest fish I captured during this two days.





There also followed several nice fish and at the end of the day I counted 15 rainbows. Time passed very quickly without to be able to fish the Soca river but I hope to return later this year and to find the waters of this river clear and blue-green like emeralds and then I hope to have on the line more wild and strong fish that will try to snatch victory on their side.



8 comments:

  1. Mersi Silu, data viitoare sper sa prind Soca cu apa buna si sa prind o marmorata !;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frumos! Abia astept si eu fishing trip-ul de anu asta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mersi Juve, daca planifici sa mergi spre Kobarid-Tolmin, spune-mi sa-ti mai dau niste informatii, zona e splendida !

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice and great üictures...From what you've written I can totally picture you there...4

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vlad noi o sa fim acolo la sf lui mai ( dupa 28 probabil) te bagi ? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M-as baga dar nu o sa reusesc din cauza serviciului, am ceva garzi...si din pacate doar pt. o zi nu se merita pentru mine...dar keep in touch, poate se nimereste data urmatoare ! ;)

      Delete